On November 10, 2020, an ordinance that prohibits the unsupervised tethering of dogs was unanimously passed by the Board of Commissioners in Barrow County.
Georgia Pet Food Pantry partners with local nonprofits in Barrow County to provide free dog and cat supplies (food, treats, collars, leashes, toys, etc.), to low-income families in the community or pet owners just needing a little help. You can find them at https://www.facebook.com/gapetfoodpantry.
On November 1, 2018, an ordinance that prohibits the unsupervised tethering of dogs went into effect in Hall County.
The ordinance states:
- "It shall be unlawful for the owner of a canine or one who has a canine in his possession to restrain or leave unattended by means of anchoring with a chain, cable, rope, leash, runner, cord or similar tethering device. "
What this means:
- You can still allow your dog to hang out on your back porch while on a trolley, etc. You just need to be present with your dog. Your dog cannot be restrained at any time without someone present with the dog.
How you can comply:
- Integrate your dog to be a part of your family by living with you, inside. Below you find links on crate and potty training. PLEASE NOTE: DOGS CANNOT BE LEFT IN CRATES (or garages) FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME AND THEY ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE WATER AT ALL TIMES.
Off the Chain will continue to be a dedicated resource to residents of Hall County, providing low cost resources for fencing, crate training tips, potty training tips, and advice on integrating dogs to be a part of the home and family.
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
If your dog must live outdoors, an adequate space is required. Consider purchasing a kennel. The ordinance states a minimum of a 12x12 kennel is required for a smaller dog. Larger dogs will need larger kennels. Dogs are required by law to have shelter as well. Below are several resources:
- Bama’s Kennels: 334-415-8531 (THEY DELIVER!)
- Tractor Supply: several locations
- Home Depot: several locations
- Lowe's: several locations
Healthy Canines is a nonprofit organization that provides financial assistance to pet parents in Georgia who find it difficult to pay for their dog's veterinary care due to an illness or injury.
SPAY & NEUTER
Did you know getting your dog "fixed" (spayed or neutered) can calm them down? Males won't have the urge to flee anymore, are less aggressive, etc. The risk of cancer in both males and female is drastically reduced. You can add years of life to your dog and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. There are several low cost resources in our area; some only require a small co-pay.
Just Snyp It:
Humane Society of NE Georgia (Gainesville):
QUALITY TIME WITH YOUR DOG
Spend time with your dog doing things he likes! This may include brushing your dog if he has a long coat, walking him on a leash, teaching him commands and games, and/or playing frisbee or catch. Spending time with him will increase your bond and make him a better pet! You are his whole world and he looks forward to spending time with you more than anything else in his day!
Click here to access a great web site with lots of information about taking care of your dog!